Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María (USM) is offering postdoctoral fellowships, in any of the
following areas of knowledge: engineering (all areas), physics and astronomy, mathematics,
chemistry, biotechnology, computer science, economic and social sciences (including gender
research), architecture and design.
The postdoctoral positions will be awarded for an initial period of 1 year, renewable up to an
additional 2 years (evaluated on a yearly basis in relation to research output). The position includes
a monthly gross salary of CLP$1.952.938. In addition, for foreign applicants, an installation benefit
consisting of a single payment of CLP$500.000 and air fare is considered.
Applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- To hold a Ph.D. degree in one of the areas of knowledge specified in this call.
- Evidence of scientific productivity in peer-reviewed journals included in Web of Science in
the last 5 years (female applicants may add one year for each child born during or after
pursuing the Ph.D. degree).
In order for the application to be admissible, applicants must present the following documents:
- Cover letter, including your motivation to hold the postdoctoral position.
- Updated CV, including educational degrees and a complete list of indexed publications.
- Documentation providing evidence of the possession of a PhD.
- A research statement indicating a clear research proposal to be developed at USM (maximum
length of 3 pages).
- Two reference letters (PhD supervisor is mandatory).
- Letter of commitment of a USM academic or researcher as sponsor, following the provided
All the documentation must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject: “2022 USM
Restrictions and obligations:
- Applicants must have been awarded the Ph.D. degree within the last 5 years (not prior to
- Foreign researchers are required to obtain all necessary documents including the
corresponding Visa and covid 19 vaccines before their starting date.
- Selected postdoctoral researchers are responsible for holding the necessary health insurance
and other labor laws required by Chilean authorities.
- The postdoctoral researcher is expected to conduct high quality research with results
published in high impact factor WoS journals (Q1-Q2), and to apply to externally funded
research grants (such as Fondecyt Postdoctoral or Fondecyt Iniciación).
Applications will be evaluated by a technical committee appointed by the General Direction of
Research, Innovation and Entrepreneurship of USM, based on the following criteria:
- Research accomplishments (publications, grants and awards): 50%
- Research statement: 30%
- Letter of commitment of USM academic or researcher and expected impact for USM: 20%
As part of USM commitment to gender diversity and inclusion, female candidates evaluated in the
same tier¹ of accomplishment will be selected.
- Application deadline: August 12, 2022.
- Application results: September, 2022.
¹ Tiers are defined in quintiles.